Candles are easy to use but there are some things you can do to make them last longer. Here are some of our best use tips:
1. ALWAYS trim the wick before lighting or re-lighting. Wicks should be 1/4 inch.
2. When lighting a candle for the first time, allow it to burn for at least 1 hour, or until the melt pool has reached the edges of the container. Blowing out a candle too early will create a tunnel and the wax will never melt entirely.
3. NEVER burn a candle for more than 4 hours at a time. Burning a candle for more than 4 hours can result in:
*Severe sooting (black jars and black marks in your home)
*Mushrooming (the wick builds carbon, which can release dangerous sparks or cause an extremely large flame)
*Burn marks on the surface the candle has been placed on
4. Store your candles in a cool, dark area with the lid on tightly. This keeps the fragrance snuggly in the wax.
5. Keep the flame away from windows, fans, and other sources of moving air. This causes an unstable flame which can result in a burnt/sooted jar and an uneven burn.
6. Finally, replace your scented candles often. Soy candles are meant to hold fragrance for 6 to 12 months. After this time they can begind to lose their fragance.